Saturday, August 10, 2013

Our Visit to the Farmers Market

 We decided to brave the Texas heat and venture out the the White Rock Local Market. This was our first time to attend and it was great. There were so many great things to see, that we had to walk around a few times to soak it all in. I was so caught up in enjoying myself, that I forgot to take lots of photos to share.

There were local farmers with beautiful organic produce, a lady that was selling fresh picked mushrooms ( I got two giant portobella caps for a new raw recipe I am making), Texas Olive Oil, dog treats, lavender soaps and so much more. You can check out the full list of vendors that they have here. We learned today that the "everything" market as they called it, is on the 1st and 2nd Saturday of the month. The other times it is just local farmers selling their produce, which is still awesome!

It was hard not to buy something from every booth, but I was trying to stay on budget! Here is what we did buy:


  • Lovely Portobellos from a very nice mushroom grower. It was my first purchase and I didn't see the name of her farm and I forgot to ask.
  • Yellow squash from Demase Farm  that I am going to sprialize and make raw spaghetti for a client.
  • A basket of yellow and red onions from a local organic farm. I didn't get the name of this farm either because I was so busy chatting with the lady that runs Dallas Frugal Foodie, (she helps them with their booth sometimes) We chat on facebook often, but I had never met her! 
  • Two jars of jam from In a Pickle Foods. They use only fresh local fruit, no high fructose corn syrup or pectin. It is so yummy you could eat it out of the jar. We bought peach and apple. I think I am going to make mini peach tarts.
  • A jar of Green Salsa from Cita's Salsa. It is a small family owned business, and all of their salsa was delicious and so fresh.  When she offered me a sample I told her " I will try it, but we make our own salsa". I could justify my purchase since I only make red salsa :) I would highly recommend purchasing from her.  They offer a Frequent Fire Card to encourage you to recycle the jars. For every empty jar you return, they punch your card, after 7 you get a free jar!
  • We needed something to cool off our mouth after we had Cita's habanero salsa so we enjoyed all natural Popsicles from Pop Star . I had a coconut lime and hubby had cantaloupe. It was just what we needed.
  • I am saving the best for last! You know I LOVE to cook and I was so thrilled to meet Chef Milton. He makes the most amazing gourmet salts! I added these to my large collection of spices: Smoked Atlantic Sea Salt and Pepper, Atlantic Sea Salt with Lavender, Chef Miltons all Natural Rub and of course my favorite Smoked Atlantic Sea Salt with Hatch Chili Pepper! It was really great to talk to him and share ideas. I am looking forward to adding these to my recipes.

We have an organic garden in our backyard and I know how much work goes into growing food.  I have so much respect for these farmers that brave the heat to bring fresh local produce to the community! So instead of buying your produce at the grocery store, visit a farmers market and meet the people growing the food. There is nothing better than eating veggies that have just been picked!


As an unexpected added bonus, we stopped at Natural Grocers on our way home! This was my first time and I was very impressed with the selection and prices. I wish there was one closer to my house, but we plan on making this a monthly event!


2 comments:

  1. HOnesty, I love reading your posts I can relate to it and I miss our farm. But I have to be strong for my dream and now I am a personal chef in austin, If you want to just visit us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more. Vegan online shop UK

    ReplyDelete